Every now and then, you buy something that you later regret. Remember that outfit that looked great in the dressing room and looked absolutely awful at home? Or how about that extended warranty that you never used? And how much money have you poured into CDs that you hardly listen to anymore?
If you’re missing a tooth, you really need to get that replaced as soon as possible. With dental implants, you’re sure to get a replacement that you’ll never regret.
What Are Dental Implants
These have three parts. First is a titanium root similar to the root of a real tooth. You also get a replacement tooth customized to fit your mouth in particular. Lastly, an abutment connects the two. They’re a long-lasting, attractive, and effective way to replace a missing tooth. And here’s why you’ll love your dental implant.
- Your jawbone can stay healthy and strong. Your natural teeth have roots that extend into the jawbone. When you chew, a small amount of pressure from biting extends down the tooth and root. This stimulates the bone tissue there. That’s a good thing. Such stimulation keeps the living bone tissue healthy. When you’ve lost a tooth, you have also lost that stimulation. Without it, the bone starts to deteriorate and get weaker. Dental bridges and dentures may replace lost teeth, but they normally do not include roots. Dental implants mimic real teeth with a titanium root. This metal does not react with your body, but it will transfer that stimulation to the bone tissue. With an implant, you can keep your jawbone healthy and strong.
- Your risk of cavities and periodontal disease are lower. Your smile should not have a gap in it. When there’s an empty space, tiny particles of your food and drinks can get trapped there. Doing this is like laying out a picnic for the bacteria behind tooth decay and gum disease. Before long, bacteria will be thriving in that gap. That means you are going to be at a much higher risk for periodontal disease. The teeth next to the gap will also have a higher chance of getting cavities. The best way to prevent all of that is by filling the gap with a replacement tooth. That’s exactly what a dental implant does. With an implant, you can help keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- You can replace any size tooth with regular and mini implants. Your teeth are not all the same. There’s a big difference between the molars in the back and the incisors in the front. Not only do they pull different jobs when chewing, they are different sizes. For some people, incisors are very small. That could mean a regular dental implant would be too big. It just won’t fit in that space. Mini dental implants can usually work in these situations. They’re still implants, so you’ll get a titanium root and a beautiful replacement tooth. But the implanted root is much smaller. The dentists at our Nashua, NH dental office can use mini implants to replace smaller teeth.
- You can keep full dentures from falling out. When you’re missing a full arch of teeth (all of the teeth on the top or bottom of your mouth), full dentures work great. They have the right number of replacement teeth set in a gum-colored base. You pop them in each morning, and you’re able to eat, talk, and look like you used to. However, there is a problem. Full dentures have been known to both slide around and even fall out unexpectedly. That usually happens when you’re eating something tough. You can use dental implants to hold those dentures firmly. Instead of putting a single replacement on the implant, you connect it to your dentures.
- You can get an All-on-4® or All-on-6 restoration. Along the same lines, you could skip traditional dentures and get an All-on-4 or All-on-6 instead with dental implants. You’ll still get a full arch of beautiful, natural-looking replacement teeth held by implanted roots. But these use a patented technique to angle those implants to provide even more strength and stability.
- Your smile will look great once more. Yes, implants help keep you healthy. They keep your jawbone strong and help work against gum disease and tooth decay. But don’t discount the impact they will have on your smile. No one expects to see a gap in your smile. When they do, they don’t quite know how to react. That can sap your confidence. With dental implants, you get a natural-looking replacement that can last a lifetime. Your unusual smile is now beautiful and full again. That means your confidence will be better.
There are options, of course. Dental bridges can also replace a missing tooth. But with these six reasons, it’s easy to see why so many people go with dental implants instead. If you are ready to learn more, call us today at 603-546-7460.