Teeth are important. They affect what we can eat, and they affect how we feel about ourselves and others.
If you have yellow or discolored teeth, you know this all too well. Many people want whiter teeth. All you have to do is walk down the toothpaste aisle to know that.
Whiter teeth make us look more attractive to other, and they look healthier, too.
The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry conducted a survey recently, and they found that 96 percent of respondents believe a nice smile makes someone more attractive, while 74 percent said a bad smile can hurt an individual in his or her career.
The survey also asked people to say what they would most like to change about their smiles? To borrow a line from Family Feud, survey says … whiter teeth.
If you are considering teeth whitening, stop by Nashua Family Dentistry. We have products that will get results for you.
Why your teeth aren’t white
You may follow the American Dental Association’s recommendation for oral hygiene. You brush your teeth twice every day (for two minutes each time). You floss once a day, and you visit the dentist twice a year.
In spite of that, your teeth may still become yellowed or discolored. Here are some reasons why:
- Tobacco use — Cigarettes, dip, chewing tobacco, and other tobacco products are bad for your teeth for many reasons. The nicotine in tobacco leaves yellow stains when it combines with oxygen. And tar is a dark substance, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that it can cause stains, too.
- Your morning coffee — We aren’t picking on coffee. Tea, soft drinks, wine, and other dark-colored drinks can stain the enamel on your teeth, especially if you drink too many of them.
- Your medicine — Some antihistamines, antipsychotics, and high blood pressure medicine all can cause discoloration of your teeth. This also can be an unfortunate side effect of chemotherapy and radiation treatments.
- Your birthdays — We don’t mean the fact that you are having a birthday, just that you are getting older. As we age, our bodies show the evidence of wear and tear. Just like a fresh coat of paint will lose its clean look with time, so too do our teeth show the effects of enamel loss due to everyday use.
- Getting hurt — We don’t mean your twisted ankle. If you are hit in the mouth or fall and hit your teeth on something, this can damage your teeth in ways that can lead to discoloration.
Teeth whitening products
Teeth whitening products are easy to find. Any grocery or retail store has a wide selection of toothpastes, mouthrinses, strips, gels, and trays that claim they will whiten your teeth.
And they can, eventually, but it could take a long time before you can see any difference.
Our dental staff can offer you a faster and more effective way to whiter teeth.
Professional quality teeth whitening is more powerful than anything you can buy at the store.
At Nashua Family Dentistry, we offer Zoom! for patients who prefer in-office treatments.
In you choose this option, you will come in three times. Each session lasts 15 minutes, and by the end of your third session, you will see how dramatically whiter your teeth can look.
Zoom! uses a hydrogen peroxide solution to break down the carbon bonds that cause yellow stains.
During each session, we will add the gel to a tray that you will hold in your mouth. This allows the gel to penetrate the stains in your teeth. We also use a special light to activate the gel so it works more quickly.
This is the fastest teeth whitening option we offer.
Some patients may prefer the convenience of a take-home whitening product, however. We offer this option as well. While not as fast as our in-office Zoom! treatments, this method is equally effective.
We will create a custom-fitted tray for you to wear. We will show you how to apply the gel to the tray, and you can wear the tray as you sleep.
In a few weeks, you will be able to see a difference in your smile, much more so than you would with anything you can find at a retail store.
Find your solution
While we can’t promise whiter teeth will help you land a promotion or get a date, we know they can help. It may be that your white teeth make you appear healthier, or it may be that you feel more confident knowing that your smile looks great.
Either way, the benefits go beyond just having a whiter smile.
Come to Nashua Family Dentistry today if you are thinking about teeth whitening. Our staff can help you find the solution that works best for you and your schedule.
Call us at 603-546-7460 or use our online form to schedule an appointment.