It’s been said that children are the future.
Although it’s quite the cliché, it’s true. Without them, there wouldn’t be much of a point to the vast majority of things we do.
If you have a growing family, you know just how true that is – even though, sometimes, your children’s behavior can make you question the wisdom of that statement. On those occasions, I suppose we just have to give them the benefit of the doubt!
You want your children to have the best of everything so that they can be the best at everything. It doesn’t matter what it is, because nothing is too good for your family.
It’s time to put your money where your mouth is, because National Children’s Dental Health month is in full swing this February. Do you know where your children’s dentist is?
If it were me, I’d be doing everything I could to get parents to understand the importance of proper, regular dental health care, both in the home and in the hands of your Nashua dentist.
I’ve worked with families of all shapes and all sizes, so believe me when I tell you that I know what it takes to deliver the kind of care they need to meet their future with the confidence and grace that healthy smiles can give.
But do you know what you could be doing to help them in the same way?
You don’t have to be a dentist to teach your children the hows and the whys of sound oral health. All it takes is a commitment to doing what is best for them – but you already know plenty about that.
Universal Oral Health Tips For Kids 5-50
It doesn’t matter if you have a five-year-old or a fifteen-year-old, because these quick tips (with few exceptions) will work for kids no matter their age.
Let’s get started!
- Semi-annual checkups and professional cleanings – You can’t get away with changing the oil in your car only once a year, so why would you think our mouths are any different? By making sure that your children receive semi-annual checkups and cleanings, you’re not only preventing any major issues from coming out of nowhere and creating an expensive, painful dental emergency, but you’ll teach your child to be comfortable with receiving the treatment they need.
- A healthy, balanced diet – The younger your child is, the harder this can be to pull off, although the benefits will be tremendous. Do everything in your power to eliminate processed foods from your children’s diet, as those foods are unusually high in refined sugars. Refined sugars are the number one contributor to child mouth diseases like tooth decay and gum disease, which result in expensive dental problems in the future.
- Mandatory brushing time – Young children and adolescents have a lot in common, specifically that they like to test the boundaries of the parent-child relationship. The earlier you can enforce habitual flossing and brushing, the better off their oral health will be. Positive reinforcement is a must, otherwise your children will rebel, leading to degraded oral health.
- Mouthguards for active kids – Whether they’re in little league or the state play-offs, your little athlete is at risk for a dental injury that can cause severe damage and disfiguration if they’re not properly protected. You can’t trust those flimsy over-the-counter mouthguards, which is why my practice offers sturdy, customized athletic mouthguards that are more comfortable and more durable than any other product in your local drugstore.
- Select a family dentist who “gets it” – My team and I have decades upon decades of experience treating patients of any age. We know what makes families tick, and are highly skilled in putting children at ease so they can receive the treatment that’s important to their health and happiness. We know you want the best for them, and that’s why we get up in the morning.
I want you to rest a little easier knowing that your family is in good hands at Nashua Area Family Dental.
To find out more about all of things we can do for you and yours, give us a call to schedule an initial consultation. Just dial 603-546-7460, or click here to request an appointment online in just a matter of minutes.
I look forward to treating your entire family!