Sleeping with sleep apnea is like sailing a sailboat without a rudder. It can be done, but it’s tough – and ultimately it can even be dangerous.
Our three Nashua, NH dentists and our talented team can treat apnea so you can get a good night’s rest again! We can also treat other sleep disorders like snoring with a simple appliance.
For more information on our sleep apnea solutions, call Nashua Family Dentistry at 603-546-7460.
Sleep Apnea Spelled Out
People with apnea disorder stop breathing often during their sleep, as many as hundreds of times a night. This is serious, as your brain and other parts of your body are deprived of oxygen. Medical experts believe as many as 18 million Americans suffer from sleep apnea.
Because you don’t get restful sleep, untreated apnea affects your performance at work or at school. In addition to unwelcome drowsiness and moodiness, studies have linked sleep apnea to more serious health problems, such as:
- High blood pressure
- Heart problems, such as irregular heartbeats and even heart attacks
How We Treat Sleep Apnea
Before we can treat apnea issues , we diagnose it. You can have a sleep test conducted at a sleep center. However, such tests can be expensive and require you to be away from the comfort of your home.
We can provide you with sleep tests you can take at home to help determine if you have sleep apnea. If necessary, we can work with a sleep specialist for your diagnosis and/or treatment.
The two primary options for treating both snoring and sleep apnea are:
- A CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine that works by increasing air pressure in your throat to keep your airway open. Many people find them difficult to wear because they obstruct part of your face and can be noisy.
- An oral appliance, our preferred method of treatment. We’ll take precise measurements of your mouth and jaw and create a custom night guard. It gently shifts your jaw into place to keep your airway open while you sleep. You’ll be able to easily breathe, talk, and relax while wearing it!
Could You Have Sleep Apnea?
Chronic snoring is a symptom of apnea. But it’s also a problem itself. Like apnea disorder, it deprives you and your partner of restful sleep.
Sleep disorders fall under three categories:
- Simple snoring
- Upper airway resistance syndrome (UARS)
- Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS)
All involve obstruction of your airway. The primary difference is the degree of blockage. With apnea, your airway may partially or even completely collapse during the night. This causes you to wake gasping for breath.
In addition to snoring, other apnea symptoms include:
- A dry or sore throat upon awakening
- Frequent awakening or insomnia
- Waking up with a headache
- Sleepiness during the day
If you are experiencing these symptoms or are just tired of keeping your partner up with your snoring, Call Nashua Family Dentistry at 603-546-7460. Or use our online form to book an appointment at our dental office for Sleep Apnea Solutions in Nashua, NH.