We don’t just do run-of-the-mill dentistry at Nashua Family Dentistry. Our knowledgeable doctors can also help you with problems like jaw pain and teeth grinding with Nashua TMJ treatment. Using a custom mouthguard, we can put an end to:
- Annoying popping when opening and closing your mouth
- Teeth grinding that can damage your tooth enamel
- Unexplained headaches
Think you could benefit from our TMJ solutions? Call Nashua Family Dentistry today at 603-882-2575 to schedule your consultation. We’re located at 25 Riverside Street, Suite 201 – a short drive from Fairgrounds Elementary and Middle Schools.
Understanding Your TMJ
Your temporomandibular joint (or TMJ) is the scientific name for the joint that connects your jawbone to your skull. A number of factors, including teeth grinding, can cause a TMJ disorder (TMD). The primary symptom of a TMJ disorder is an aching jaw. Others include:
- Difficulty or pain while chewing
- Locking of your joint, making it difficult to open or close your mouth
- A clicking sound or grating sensation when you open your mouth
A Custom Mouthguard Can Help Your TMJ Pain
Chronic teeth grinding can cause headaches or even jaw problems like TMJ disorder. It can also damage your teeth.
When our doctors examine you, they’ll look for signs of bruxism – the medical term for teeth grinding or clenching. If you suffer from bruxism, we can relieve your pain and save your teeth by providing you with a custom-made mouthguard you wear at night.
Your dentist will take impressions of your teeth and other measurements used to create a custom mouthguard for you to wear at night. It will gently reposition your lower jaw to relieve pressure on your TMJ and prevent you from grinding or clenching your teeth. It can also eliminate TMJ-related headaches and migraines.
Repairing Dental Damage
If teeth grinding or clenching has already caused dental damage, our doctors can repair it! Our cosmetic and restorative dentistry services can restore your smile’s appearance and function. We may use:
- Dental Veneers – These thin “shells” are custom-made to fit over the entire front surface of your teeth, fortifying and beautifying them. We can use them to repair minor cracks or chips, and they can make ground-down teeth look longer.
- Dental Crowns – For more severe cracks or breaks, a dental crown covers your whole tooth, protecting it from further damage.